Current Students


For PhD Students (By Research)

Timeline ​Information, Forms and Templates​
​​In July
(for Aug intake)

In December
(for Jan intake)

What you should do
​To complete within 6 months after commencement of candidature​ Proposed Research Topic, Supervisor(s) and TAC members

Proposed Research Topic and Supervisor’ form​​
Change of Supervisor form
Notes on TAC
What you should do​

​To complete within 1.5 year after commencement of candidature ​Coursework Requirement

What you should do

​In Jan
(for Semester 2)

In July & Aug
(for Semester 1)
​​Course Registration (SoH students taking SoH courses)

What you should do

Graduate Course Registration Form (for students registering for other schools/programmes courses)

Cross-programme Course Registration form (Only for courses that are not listed in the cross-school/programme system)

​To submit at least 1 month before the next semester begins Course Exemption, Transfer of Credits and Pass/Fail Courses

Notes on Course Exemption
Course Exemption Request form

​To complete by the 1.5 years of their candidature or by their confirmation exercise ​HWG703 Graduate English (Compulsory for full-time PhD students only)

Information on HWG703 Exemption Criteria

​To complete by the 1.5 years of their candidature or by their confirmation exercise HWG702 Small Group Teaching (Compulsory for full-time PhD students only)

Information on HWG702​
HWG702 Course Structure​
HWG702 Exemption Request form

Note: Students must pass HWG703 (unless exempted) before they are allow to take HWG702.

​To complete within the 1st semester after commencement of candidature ERI701 – Epigeum Research Integrity Course (Compulsory to all research students)

Important information on Epigeum Research Integrity Course
Step-by-step guide to access the Epigeum Research Integrity Course

​Every semester ​Seminar Requirement

Workshop schedule / Sign up for the workshop
Seminar Attendance form​
What you should do

​To submit report at least 3 months before the expiry of the each year’s scholarship ​Confirmation and Renewal of Scholarship

Scholarship Renewal and Confirmation form
What you should do

​To complete within 1.5 years after commencement of candidature
(Full-time students)

To complete within 2 years after commencement of candidature
(Part-time students)​
Confirmation Exercise (Physical Exercise required)

What you should do

​Every semester ​Graduate Assistantship Programme (GAP)

PhD Students GAP form (New Form for PhD Students from January 2020 intake onwards)

PhD Students GAP form​​ (Old Form for PhD Students for August 2019 Intake and Before)

​To be done at least 3 months before the thesis online submission ​Appointment of Examiners

Appointment of Examiner (For PhD Students)
Postgraduate survey form
What you should do

​To submit by the scholarship period deadline
(for Scholars)

To submit before the candidature ends
(for self-funded students)

​Thesis Submission

What you should do
​To submit at least 3 days before the thesis online submission Check Thesis for Plagiarism and Application for Thesis Submission

Guide for Plagiarism Check
Application for PhD Thesis Submission form (For PhD students only)
What you should do

​To be done at least 1 week before the thesis online submission deadline Online Thesis Submission – Thesis Format

Submission of Thesis User Guide for Students
Template for Thesis in English (For online submission)
Template for Thesis in Chinese (For online submission)
What you should do *Important*

​The outcome will be released 2 months after thesis online submission Thesis Examination and Amendments

Confirmation of Amended Thesis (PhD) for Oral Exam form (For internal examiner only)
What you should do

​Re-examination of thesis (if examiners ask to see the amended thesis – this is not always the case)

Format to Reply to Examiner form
What you should do

​After amended thesis is satisfactory Oral Examination

Oral Exam Report Form
What you should do​

​After passing of thesis examination and fulfilling all prescribed requirements ​Awarding of PhD Degree by the University

Once students have passed their thesis and paid any outstanding fees, their names will be submitted to OAS for the conferment of the degree.
​After the award of degree ​Degree Conferred

Process of conferment of degree

Note: If proof of status is required, the graduate may apply online via the One Stop@SAC portal​ to issue a certification letter. 


  • ​Leave Application (unofficial leave, LOA, medical leave, compassionate leave and in-camp training)
    Leave Policy
    Leave of Absence
    Note: Please apply online via GSLink. For unofficial (vacation) leave, Saturdays/Sundays/public holidays are not counted as leave.

  • Extension of Candidature
    Application form
    Note: Submit the application form and the duly signed detailed work plan (by student and supervisor) to the Graduate Education Office/email to at least 3 months before the expiry of your candidature. 

  • Change of candidature/Conversion from MA to PhD candidature
    For change of candidature (e.g. converting candidature from full-time to part-time, converting candidature from MA to PhD, etc.), students must write through their supervisor, the Head of Programme and the Assistant Chair (Graduate Education)​ to seek the approval of the Associate Provost (Graduate Education and Lifelong Learning). The decision will be conveyed to the student by Office of Academic Services (OAS).

  • Request to transfer to another School
    Request for transfer to another School has to be submitted in writing through the Assistant Chair (Graduate Education) to the Chair (School of SoH), and to the Chair of the School to be transferred to. The student must satisfy the entry requirement of the programme he/she wishes to transfer to in the other School. The Chairs of both Schools must approve of the transfer.