Admission to the MTI Programme will be based on a candidate’s prior academic record, language proficiency, and professional experience.
Prospective students should meet one of the following requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution plus meeting the language proficiency requirements in English and Chinese, such as:
A Nanyang Technological University Graduate Diploma in Translation and Interpretation (GDTI) with a GPA of at least 3.5 out of 5.0, and relevant work experience (only applicable to the intakes within five years after the establishment of the MTI programme, i.e. the intakes of 2016-2020).
Other qualifications and relevant work experience, as approved by the Programme Director and/or the Academic Board.
- A good pass in GCE ‘A’ Level General Paper, or equivalent, or a higher level test
- A good pass in GCE ‘O’ Level CL1, or Higher Chinese, or equivalent, or a higher level test
- A certificate of language proficiency in English or Chinese for international applicants whose first language is not English or Chinese, e.g. an English language proficiency certificate IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum mark of 6.0 in each component), or TOEFL iBT 90, or a Chinese language proficiency certificate HSK, TOCFL or SAT subject test in Chinese. The certificate must be still within its valid period when the student is enrolled.
In addition to the above requirements, all short‐listed applicants must take a self‐monitored exam, comprising two translation tasks and two oral assessments in Chinese and English. Guidelines for submitting the files and recordings by a specified deadline will be provided accordingly. The final selection of students will be determined by the Programme Director and the Programme’s Academic Board.
As such, all applicants who pass Phase Ⅰ screening are required to make a fee payment for the self-monitored exam.
Application for Admission
The MTI Programme offers one intake in January each year.
The Online Application for the January 2020 intake will be available on 1 August 2019. The deadline for submitting the online application is 30 September 2019. Click here to start your application.
After completing the online application, please send the following documents to the MTI office (Attn: The MTI Office, Address: HSS-02-19, 48 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639818):
- Application Form and Payment Slip (please sign on both documents)
- Proof of Payment of Application Fee (transaction confirmation email from WorldPay or payment acknowledgement email from NTU)
- Passport-sized Photograph (1 piece)
- Photocopy of NRIC (for local applicants) or Passport (for international applicants)
- Photocopy of Employment Pass/Work Permit/Dependent's Pass/LTVP, if any
- Photocopy of the original Degree Scroll(s) (in either English or Chinese)
- Photocopy of the original University Transcript(s) or Results Slip(s) (in either English or Chinese)
- Photocopy of A Level Certificate(s)/Polytechnic Diploma (for local applicants)
- Photocopy of O Level Certificate(s) (for local applicants)
- Photocopy of TOEFL/IELTS (for international applications graduated from universities with non-English medium of instruction)
- Photocopy of HSK/TOCFL/SAT or National Higher Education Entrance Examination (Gaokao)/High School Transcripts (for international applicants graduated from universities with non-Chinese medium of instruction)
- Photocopy of Professional Qualifications/Membership Certificates, if any
- Documentary Proof of Present and Previous Employment (e.g. IR8A forms or letters of appointment and resignation)
- Two reference letters (compulsory for international applicants and recommended for local applicants)
- Any Other Relevant Documents (e.g. past translation work)